Sunday, 22 November 2009

My First Swim in Sydney

How ironic, Sydney is surrounded by so much water; countless beautiful beaches and so many accessible pools, my most convenient gym pool. Yet, I have not taken the courage to don my swimming attire to go for a dip. Why? I am very self conscious. I remember those days, in my kid-hood, not a single care in the world on how I look even though I was a chubby kid. My Singapore uncle, in his annual visit back to KL, always commented that I look like a plum. But I didn't care, the pool has so much fun waiting for me...

But then, as age catches up, with media influence, I got conscious.  I was brain washed that every girl who wears a swimming suit should look like this....

 
Yesterday, amazingly hot. Sydney is having a heat spell in SPRING! I could tolerate the soaring temperature and low humidity, yes, it's dry wind. I packed my new 2-piece swim clothes  (from my US shopping spree) which I was saving for the day that I would be brave enough and look good enough to wear them... hehehe... Also packed hubby's gym gear to accompany me in the pool. And off we went to the gym pool. Surprisingly, there was hardly anyone around. So there me go into the locker, slip in my new cozzie (oz slang) and a quick check in front of the mirror. Gosh... I look totally OPPOSITE to the image that I have ingrained in my head. I feel rather proud having the little bub. With my head held up high, walked to the pool and climb into the most cooling and inviting water.... aaaahhhhh....



1 comment:

ainelivia said...

As i read this I was smiling, because when you were very young you were a little plum, though in a childlike and beautiful way. Then when I met you much later you had grown tall and elegant, and I envied you the lithe body. Yes, it is amazing that our self-image can sometimes not reflect our reality. Am so pleased that you can see yourself clearer now. lots of love from both of us XXX